Image consulting is reported on consumer trend lists and in business books as one of the fastest growing businesses in today’s service economy. People are generally dissatisfied with their image and are clueless about where to start making improvements. People value their time as much as their money, and are therefore willing to pay for an image consultation to save them image anxiety, time, and effort. The sky is the limit.
What are the Aspects of Image Consulting?
Image has various aspects which also form different areas of image consulting. These aspects are, generally, as follows:
- Psychological Aspects of dress and image, with a focus on the effects of image as it influences self-concept, values, personality, and behaviour.
- Social Aspects of dress and image, with a focus on the functions of dress, non-verbal communication through dress, fashion trends, etiquette, roles and goal.
- Physical Aspects of dress and image, with a focus on body or figure traits, personal coloring, grooming or hygiene, and body language.
- Artistic Aspects of dress and image, with a focus on the elements and principles of design in dress, namely style, line and shape, colour, texture, and pattern selection and coordination.
- Personal Style with a focus on the Style Scale® and the Yin-Yang Continuum.
- Wardrobe Management with a focus on the application of all of the above, wardrobe evaluation, cluster planning, closet organization, clothing care, and personal shopping.
Who is an Image Consultant?
An Image Consultant specializes in counselling individuals and corporate clients on verbal and non-verbal communication skills relating to dressing, grooming, body-language including etiquette &behaviour, and vocal communication. They do this through individual consultation, lectures, seminars, workshops, and presentations.
Benefits of an Image Consulting Career
Become an Image Consultant
Before being called an image consultant it is advisable to go through proper education and training in order to master the subject. To carry out the business of Image Consulting, one needs to be educated and trained in three types of core competency of this profession:
- Technical Knowledge – A thorough knowledge of all aspects of image consulting.
- Professional Development – Skills to apply this technical knowledge to others, either to a group or on an individual basis and be able to reflect tangible result.
- Business Management – Experience in the Organisational and Management aspects of running a business.
Once one is properly educated in all core competencies of Image Consulting, one needs to have a business identity as an Image Consultant, in terms of company or brand name, website, social media presence and must possess all materials for one to one and group coaching services to individuals and companies. A certification from IMPA will help a great deal in building one’s consulting business.
You can look for training companies in your area to provide complete training on all aspects of Image Consulting and after the completion of the same and creating a business identity, you can then apply for certification from IMPA.